Depending on the research objectives, availability / reliability of information from public sources or syndicated reports and project turnaround times, Aranca employs a judicious mix of desk and primary research to find accurate and insightful answers to critical business questions. Our vast knowledge of markets and competition dynamics across 80 sub-sectors and 50 countries enables us to develop and recommend a robust research approach at the design phase itself – irrespective of whether the need is for a detailed market study in emerging economies or a rapid research enquiry that needs to be delivered overnight.
Based on best practices followed by international consulting firms, we follow a highly structured research execution approach for every project, encompassing:
- Assignment of the right team of analysts with relevant domain experience
- Dedicated project manager with extensive research or consulting experience, who is also the single point of contact for client team
- Extensive planning as the first step including blank slides, hypotheses, decision trees, checklists, data sources and detailed work plans
- Team training - internal and where required client briefing
- Well defined milestones for interim reviews - internal and with client team
- Robust multi-stage quality assurance mechanism, before delivery of each interim or final report to client
- Emphasis on report quality: 'story-boarding', insights, data-richness, breadth / depth of analysis
Data on markets or companies available in the public domain or through commercial databases / syndicated reports is an excellent foundation for all research assignments, and specifically invaluable for urgent requests. At Aranca, our analysts are extensively trained not only on the wide range of public or paid information sources that can be readily tapped across regions or industries, but also on the limitations or reliability of different data sources - an aspect that is critical to ensure that the right insights are drawn from desk based research.
Analysts at Aranca leverage a wide range of paid, public data sources and our powerful internal knowledge base of several thousand projects for effective desk research. Through search tools and other databases developed in-house, we have ensured that the process of finding information is efficient, quick and comprehensive from a search perspective.
Desk research has its limitations, especially when the requirement is to understand market dynamics in emerging economies or opportunity assessment for niche products or services. Many of Aranca's assignments involve a significant component of primary research with industry participants or experts, and we have the experience of having conducted several thousand interviews in 30+ languages across fifty countries. Salient features of our global primary research capabilities include:
- All our analysts are trained in primary research and phone interviewing techniques. Interviews in English speaking countries are executed by our analysts
- Network of language experts (45 personnel across 15 languages) in Mumbai who work along with Aranca analysts to conduct phone interviews
- Partner network i.e. strategic alliances with companies specializing in primary research in over 20 countries for conducting B2B or B2C interviews in 30+ foreign languages
- Well defined processes in place for conducting interviews in foreign languages encompassing research briefs / checklist development, interviewer training, Aranca analysts being part of the call as silent observers, de-briefing, translation and follow-up to re-verify market data or insights
- Access to large and growing database of industry professionals, including respondents to previous surveys, 500+ client base & professional network of Aranca employees
- Established and proven processes in place to identify experts for new projects, ranging from searches in commercials databases like Hoovers to mining LinkedIn or 'cold calling' target companies as a last option
Aranca: Primary Research Coverage & Experience